- Preheat the oven to fan bake 190 degrees celcius.
- In a pot, par-boil the cauliflower and broccoli until just tender. Drain, rinse with cold water, then place into a roasting dish.
- In a pan, fry the bacon pieces over a medium high heat until crispy. Remove from the pan and sprinkle over the cauliflower/broccoli.
- To make the sauce, soften the onion and garlic in a medium sized pot with a dash of oil. Once softened, reduce the heat to low-medium and melt 50g of butter. Then, add the flour and stir continuously for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the milk in dashes, stirring until thickened* before adding more. Once the milk has all been incorporated, stir until you have reached a thick, coating consistency then add the mustard, cheese and seasoning. Stir until the cheese has melted.
- Evenly pour the sauce over the vegetables, ensuring everything is coated.
- Finally, make the crumb by mixing together the panko, melted butter and parsley. Sprinkle over the top of the sauce until covered.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown. Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- This creamy bake with a crunchy herb crumb by In Rhi’s Pantry -- Rhiannon Baldock will please even the fussiest of eaters.
- *The sauce will at first look unusual as it will form a thick ball, then slowly loosen to create a thick, creamy sauce.